Friday 17 June 2011

A Writer's Guide to PR

I've recently started taking myself more seriously as a writer. So I'm reading more, scrutinisng more and doing much better against the dreaded writer's block. I've also joined a couple of writers' and freelancers' groups on LinkedIn - an incredibly useful source for at least 3 reasons:

- Being a writer can get lonely but when you find other lonely people like yourself, guess what happens? You stop feeling lonely
- It's an excellent way to be in the right company. I find that incredibly powerful and hope that some of their authorly awesomeness would rub off on me
- It's the one place I've found so far with oodles of excellent free advice for writers! I'm now going to share one that author Leslie Stern (whom I recently friended on Facebook) told me:

First PR rule for writers: market yourself everywhere.

It's so simple that it almost didn't inspire me. BUT it did kick me in the right place and made me wonder why I had never thought of it myself. To see that advice through, I've decided to post links to my previously published online articles on this blog. After all, like charity, PR begins at home! :)

3 comments:

Leslie E. Stern said...

Well said, Aanchal! It may seem lonely when you begin to write ~ you against the world. But hang in there. Once you get even a third of the way through your novel, your characters will come so alive they will become like your best friends. Then you won't feel alone when you're writing. Trust me on this one!

With Dreams Surpassed, I remember going to the grocery and placing food in my cart, then slapping myself in the head! Dummy, I said to myself. Your character is making pot roast, you're not! I was actually shopping for a chapter in my novel!

As for public relations, yes you have to do it everywhere and all the time. Take business cards with your book title and website on it, make postcards ~ leave them everywhere and give them to everyone. Not with a heavy sales pitch, just a soft sell about how interesting your book is and why your salesgirl or waitress would like it. Spread the word!

aanchonline said...

I know what you mean, Leslie. I'm not that far in my script but I've had tearful moments because of what one of my characters goes through in a Soviet Labour Camp!

Leslie E. Stern said...

I look forward to reading about it! You'll get there, Aanchal.