Wednesday 10 September 2008

Three weeks into Russia...

Lazy is my middle name. For the sake of accuracy, it should have been my first and last name as well!

I have been thinking of breaking my cyber silence and starting a blog documenting my experiences in Russia for quite some time now and after 3 weeks and some very interesting experiences, I have finally decided to let my fingers loose on the keyboard...

This is my second time in St Petersburg. Admittedly, I wasn't as fascinated this time as much as in June 2006. Piter (as the locals call St Petersburg) and I have moved on from the initial rush into something more meaningful. But no matter what, I still feel like a child in a candy store - inquisitive and hungry!

Anyway, I won’t recap everything in the last three weeks so this will have to be short (and perhaps a bit abrupt) - just that I’ve been super-lucky with the people I have met. Have made some amazing friends - My flatmate, Meritxell (pr. Mari-chell) from Barcelona is my best-friend here! Then there are Richard (pr. Rick-hard) from Hungary, Hanne (pr. Honn-eh) from Norway and my room-mate, Junko from Japan. These are the people I have laughed and cried with - when the University bus broke down, when there was no hot-water and when it turned out that the heart-achingly handsome German guy* came with an engagement ring attached to his finger!

PS - I'm still recovering from the Heiner* incident...if God were Michelangelo, Heiner would have been the Sistine Chapel! Oh my God...I've started to sound like Carrie Bradshaw, haven't I?

No comments: